Evaluating a missionary training program
Let’s say that God has called you to step out in faith, and to take the gospel to those who have not heard yet. You have done Bible school, but you know you will need cross-cultural training too.
What should you look out for when choosing a missionary training program?
Here are six questions you should ask:
- WHO. Who are the trainers? Learn from people who have credibility, people who have been there. Mark 1:22, The people were amazed at His teaching, because He taught them as one who had authority, not as the teachers of the law [NIV]. You should learn from experienced missionaries.
All Didasko course developers and presenters are experienced missionaries who are passionate about reaching those who have not heard the gospel yet.
- WHAT. What is the foundation of the teachings? The Bible should always be the foundation for missionary training. 2 Timothy 3:16-17, All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work [NIV]. Jesus should be the central focus point of all teachings.
Didasko Academy is an evangelical training institute, and all our courses have a strong biblical base. See our Statement of Faith.
- WHERE. Where is the training held? When you are choosing a missionary training program, you need to find a program that fits your situation. Do you need to relocate somewhere for classes? Would you be able to learn with others? If the training is in another country, what language is the training in? If you choose an online program, will you be able to learn at your own pace?
All Didasko courses can be done fully online, at your own pace. Didasko also offers facilitated group training.
- WHEN. When is the next training, and how long will it take to complete? If it is online training, what are the deadlines for enrolling and finishing of courses?
You can start any Didasko course whenever you prefer. Each course's estimated time to complete is shown on the course informational page.
- WHY. Why do you want missionary training? Are you already in ministry and need upskilling? Do you need specialized training in one area of missions, for example church planting? Are you on your way to the mission field for the first time? Do you want training for accreditation?
Didasko courses answer all these questions. Didasko courses are not accredited.
- HOW. How is the training conducted, and how much does it cost? Courses that require attendance have cost implications of travel, accommodation and course fees. Some courses that are presented over the Internet have a price tag, others are free. If it is free, is it good? With the Internet, our opportunities to learn have never been so great, and there is no excuse for you to not be learning. How practical is the missionary training program? How can I apply what I learn? Reflect what you learn.
You can read more about how our courses work: click here.
Learn from Paul who said in Colossians 3:23, “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters” [NIV].
Have you checked out our free missionary training programs yet?